Americana: Spelling You See Level D
Get ready for a different kind of spelling lesson, with no tests, lists, or rote memorization. It’s a win-win for instructors and students. New to Spelling You See? Use the Checklist for Success to determine exactly what you need.
Americana continues the Skill Development Stage. Students will read nonfiction stories about American history and culture. The reading level gradually increases, providing opportunities for vocabulary development and allowing students to learn how to spell words in an interesting context.
- Features nonfiction stories about American history and culture
Involves the three core activities for Spelling You See:
- chunking – provides hands-on experience with the many irregular letter patterns in English
- copywork – requires the brain to pay attention to details in print
- dictation – gives the student the opportunity to recall the proper letter patterns from memory.
- Gradually increases in reading level, providing opportunities for vocabulary development and allowing students to learn how to spell words in an interesting context
Universal Set D: Americana: Spelling You See, includes both the Instructors Handbook and the Student Pack
Instructors Handbook: The Instructor's Handbook contains an introduction to the philosophy behind Spelling You See and the five development stages of spelling. The Handbook also contains a "Getting Started" guide with an overview of the organization of the 36 lessons and information about the important skills and concepts that will be learned in this level as well as information about the three core activities. At the back of the Handbook there is more information about guided reading, chunking, copywork, dictation, answers to frequently asked questions, and a collection of helpful resources including passages for dictation.
Student Pack: The Student Pack includes two student workbooks and a pack of erasable colored pencils. Each of the 36 lessons is divided into five parts, A through E, and includes two facing pages. Each day the instructor reads the passage together with the student. Students will also "chunk" the appropriate letter patterns indicated for that day's lesson and have opportunities for copywork and writing from dictation throughout the week.
For sample videos and pages, placement test and additional info please see www.spellingyousee.com