Ancient Achievements: Spelling You See Level F
Get ready for a different kind of spelling lesson, with no tests, lists, or rote memorization. It’s a win-win for instructors and students. New to Spelling You See? Use the Checklist for Success to determine exactly what you need.
Ancient Achievements is designed as a bridge from the Skill Development Stage to the Word Extension stage of spelling. Students will read about ancient places and events with a gradually-increasing reading level. Students will continue to improve their basic spelling skills while learning interesting new facts about words in preparation for more advanced study of spelling patterns.
- Features nonfiction stories about long ago, covering themes such as cave paintings, Viking ships, and Marco Polo
Involves the three core activities for Spelling You See:
- chunking – provides hands-on experience with English’s many irregular letter patterns
- copywork – requires the brain to pay attention to details in print
- dictation – gives the student the opportunity to recall the proper letter patterns from memory
- Includes a new Spotlight activity designed to introduce students to interesting facts about words, call attention to how endings are added to words, and show how learning word relationships can help with spelling
- Gradually increases in reading level, providing opportunities for vocabulary development and allowing students to learn how to spell words in an interesting context
Ancient Achievements provides continued word practice using core activities of marking letter patterns, copywork, and dictation while gradually increasing the reading level. Students will read about fascinating topics from long ago, such as cave paintings, Viking ships, and the travels of Marco Polo. At the same time, students are introduced to interesting facts about word roots and more advanced word patterns. It is designed as a bridge to the next stage of spelling.
Universal Set F: Ancient Achievements: Spelling You See, includes both the Instructors Handbook and the Student Pack
Instructors Handbook: The Instructor's Handbook contains an introduction to the philosophy behind Spelling You See and the five developmental stages of spelling. The Handbook also contains a "Getting Started" guide and detailed instructions for each lesson, including suggested activities that coordinate with the weekly Spotlight. At the back of the Handbook there is more information about each activity, answers to frequently asked questions, the passages for dictation, and an answer key.
Student Pack: The Student Pack includes two student workbooks and a pack of erasable colored pencils. Each of the 36 lessons is divided into five parts, A through E, and includes two facing pages. Each day the instructor reads the passage together with the student. Students will also "chunk" the appropriate letter patterns indicated for that day's lesson and have opportunities for copywork and writing from dictation throughout the week.
For sample videos and pages, placement test and additional info please see www.spellingyousee.com